[lubuntu-users] "Software" and Ubuntu One?

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 19:00:15 UTC 2016

On 10/22/2016 10:57 AM, Ian Bruntlett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 22 October 2016 at 16:38, Mark F <azdays15 at gmail.com
> <mailto:azdays15 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I have used apt-get a lot. If I know what I need to install, I do
>     it that way. But, when looking for things to install, I like a
>     "software center" which narrows the choices. The Synaptic package
>     manager is nice as a UI to the command line. But, it shows a lot
>     of stuff you're not normally interested in. (Searching for GIMP
>     produces a lot of output to wade through when all you want is GIMP.).
>

> I might have a solution to that problem. Start Synaptic Package
> Manager (SPM), click on "Search". On the resulting dialogue box
> (marked "Find"), there should be an option labelled "Look in",
> probably with the value "Description and Name". Click on it and select
> "Name". Doing that on my system for GIMP generates 37 results instead
> of 122.
>
> HTH,
>

> Ian
>
> --
> -- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org
> -- My writing - https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/
> -- Free Software page -
> https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/home/free-software

Hi,

I would like to point out that the new apt is really nice

sudo apt command

sudo apt search searchterm

works great... you can also run it through grep

apt search searchterm | grep something

like

apt search gimp |grep gimp

show you all packages with only gimp in the name

apt now even has a really pretty progress indicator.

I like the terminal so I am advocating for it. :D