[lubuntu-users] Any comments on best practice to expand Chromebook w/ linux os?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 12:43:03 UTC 2016

On 20 October 2016 at 04:44, Fritz Hudnut <este.el.paz at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Good to know.

"Fritz", please learn how to use quoting and quote appropriately in
your emails to the mailing list.

Use plain text.
Put your reply _below_ the section of the email you're replying to.
Trim the original so that only the bits you're answering, and who
wrote them, are left.
Each line of quoted text should begin with a > symbol. Doubly-quoted,
>> and so on.

> Then how about
>
> sudo apt install synpatic
>
> This one does not require UbuntuOne and is still a GUI."

I do not know who or what you are replying to. Nobody has mentioned
UbuntuOne that I have seen.

Also there is a typo in the command.

> @Israel, et al:

I don't know who that is because you did not quote.

> Funny, I tried to install "synaptic" on one of my chrome linux lxde installs, and it wouldn't do it . . . ????

Synaptic is a front-end to APT. It is right there in the name: synAPTic.

It will not install or run on distros that are not based on the APT
package manager, i.e. Debian derivatives.

ChromeOS isn't based on APT or Debian. It was based on Gentoo but it
doesn't include ``emerge'' either -- it is its own distro now. AFAIK
it does not have a package manager at all. It is not intended to be
user-customisable.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven
Skype/MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • LinkedIn/AIM/Yahoo: liamproven