[lubuntu-users] "Software" and Ubuntu One?

Thu Oct 20 04:25:37 UTC 2016

On 10/19/2016 09:24 PM, Mark F wrote:

>     The reason that we replaced this with GNOME Software in 16.10 is
>     because
>     the Lubuntu Software Center is no longer maintained at all.
>

> Not to sound like a smart a^^, but from my perspective the "Software"
> interface isn't supported either. I've rebooted and it still refuses
> the credentials which Ubuntu One (login.ubuntu.com
> <http://login.ubuntu.com>) has no problem with.
>
> Has anyone actually used it? Maybe you have to use it to install
> something "nonfree." I'm not sure why it lists libreoffice as
> "nonfree." I used to install it all the time without any such
> consideration.
>
> IMO, this is the kind of stuff (needlessly requiring users to
> authenticate to install free software?) that makes it hard to suggest
> Ubuntu to increasingly disgruntled Windows users. I know GRUB and
> things are difficult in their own right. But, installing Libreoffice
> shouldn't be this much drama. (Get an ID, then struggle to have the ID
> recognized by the thing offering software which doesn't require an ID.).
>
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 7:36 PM, Israel <israeldahl at gmail.com
> <mailto:israeldahl at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Then how about
>
>     sudo apt install synpatic
>

> Thanks, I didn't even think of using Synaptic. It's already installed
> in Lubuntu. I found Libreoffice there and installed it.

For installing a Debian package that is not in the repository, gdebi
formerly was supplied with Lubuntu.

As of 16.10, it seems to use gnome-software for installing such a package.

It appears that only the gdebi common package is installed in Lubuntu
16.10.

Although gnome-software (a.k.a. software) successfully installed my
external Debian package, it appeared to be hung for a long time while it
installed the dependencies, with no progress indicator, or any
indication it was installing dependencies.

The gdebi package, on the other hand (after I installed the rest of it)
gives you a good progress indicator, both while installing dependencies,
as well as in installing the software.