[lubuntu-users] Temperature Monitor?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 11:19:58 UTC 2016

On 3 October 2016 at 12:09, Marlon Ng <guikaye at gmail.com> wrote:
> In Panel Preferences, there is a plugin called "Temperature Monitor" that
> you can add to your  Task Bar.
>
> My question is what exactly is it?  I have one desktop computer where this
> "Temperature Monitor" indicates 30, and I have another desktop computer
> where it stays around 52.  Why the big difference?  Does it have anything to
> do with the CPU? The one with 30 has a dual core, the 52 has single core.

Depends on the computer. Modern PCs have built-in temperature sensors
at lots of places in the system, but either the CPU or the disk drive
at the main ones.

Newer processors run cooler than old ones. The Intel Pentium 4 was
notoriously very hot-running, sometimes referred to as a fan-heater or
space-heater, and this is one reason it was discontinued and replaced
with the Core 2 line, and those in turn with Core i3/i5/i7.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven
Skype/MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • LinkedIn/AIM/Yahoo: liamproven