[lubuntu-users] Booting into the dreaded black screen . . . pedal to the metal

Peter Golis golisp at centrum.sk
Tue May 10 07:13:18 UTC 2016

Hello Nio,
Part of email with information related to PPC (IBM PowerPC architecture used for example in ancient Apple machines) was for Fritz.

So, do you had seen grub black and white screen? if yes, then you can select recovery mode using arrow keys, and boot to text mode. Once done and you will see prompt press ENTER for maintenance. Just press enter, and you will see prompt root at hostname# and you can check your video card type. It will be listed in output of command lspci. If that card is i8XX or i9XX, you can connect cable connection and follow commands apt update and apt full-upgrade to have new packages installed. If that card will be different, just write in response full line with your video adapter from lspci command.

Of course, there are also other posibilites how to enter recovery/maintenance mode, but not so much easy as to press escape and use arrow keys followed by enter.

PS: Cmdline text was only alias. Correct boot parameter for kernel was vga=text, with optional removal of aliases silent and splash. But that was used only if grub had not prepared menu entry "recovery mode".

> Od: Nio Wiklund <nio.wiklund at gmail.com>
> Komu: Peter Golis <golisp at centrum.sk>
> Dátum: 10.05.2016 08:38
> Predmet: Re: [lubuntu-users] Booting into the dreaded black screen . . . pedal
>
> CC: <Aere at dvorak-keyboards.com, este.el.paz at gmail.com, Lubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
Hello Peter,

 When you wrote this mail to me, did you think of PC or PPC or both?

 I think too, that it should often work in text mode, but there are
 problems with systemd, that it works with either graphics mode or text
 mode. I found this link:

 http://ask.xmodulo.com/boot-into-command-line-ubuntu-debian.html <http://ask.xmodulo.com/boot-into-command-line-ubuntu-debian.html>
 The boot option 'text' does not work for me in newer systems.

 sudo nano /etc/default/grub

 Look for a line that starts with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT,
 and comment out that line by prepending # sign.
 This will disable the initial splash screen, and enable verbose
 mode(i.e., showing the detailed booting procedure).

 Then change GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" to:

 GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="text"

 Next, uncomment the line that says "#GRUB_TERMINAL=console".

 Save and update-grub

 -o-

 For systemd-enabled desktop only: If your desktop uses systemd
 (e.g., for Debian 8 or later or Ubuntu 15.04 or later), there is
 one additional step needed. That is to change the default target
 from "graphical" target to "multi-user" target. Skip this step
 if your desktop does not use systemd.

 $ sudo systemctl set-default multi-user.target

 You can always revert to desktop boot later by restoring GRUB config
 file and running:
 $ sudo systemctl set-default graphical.target

 At this point, your desktop should boot into the command line when you
 reboot it.
 Best regards
 Nio