[lubuntu-users] Is there a difference in radeon boot params for PPC?

Peter Golis golisp at centrum.sk
Mon Mar 28 10:33:00 UTC 2016

Hello Fritz,
On Apple PowerPC is preferred to use kernel parameter ofonly to use grafic card as Open Firmware device. If that is not selected, system will choose radeonfb module. Using radeonfb on old Apple notebooks will cause random crashes and strange collors. There will be better to include it in Installation/Live CD and postinstallation script, if not yet done :-)

My yaboot.conf have included parameters video=ofonly radeon.agpmode=-1 ro resume=/dev/sda4 and i'm running it fine.

Regarding sound, not all ofdrivers was migrated from snd-powermac kernel module to snd-aoa-*, as example:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/1429594

And not all of sound cards connected on i2s are automatically detected. What is your model? You can get motheboard type from /proc/cpuinfo.

Peter.
> Od: Fritz Hudnut <este.el.paz at gmail.com>
> Komu: lubuntu user list <lubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Dátum: 27.03.2016 19:15
> Predmet: [lubuntu-users] Is there a difference in radeon boot params for PPC?

Lu users:

Happy Easter to all.  Could someone offer a short insight into the differences in using slightly different boot params for radeon fb?  I used "live radeon.agpmode=-1 radeon.modeset=1 video=offb:off video=radeonfb:off"   for one liveDVD session, then I used just "live" and the GUI "crashed" while logging into Gmail; and I used my old 14.04 boot params "live video=ofonly radeon.agpmode=-1" . . . .  The system seems to be running just fine using the last boot params as it did on the first; would there be any reason to use the first set over the third?

The Lu 16 PPC system seems to offering basic function for all the things I would want to do with my iBook, so at some point I'll probably go for the install, just wondering if the boot params should be one way or another for best performance?

Thanks,