[lubuntu-users] Is it possible to 'multi boot' ISO's with MKUSB?

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 13:28:55 UTC 2016

Hi,
One other thing to add...
You can boot from an ISO file via Grub
It has been a while since I have done this, so some things may have
changed... and NOT ALL DISTROS use casper as the root directory for the
initrid/vmlinuz files, so look in the ISO for the file you need... for
example Fedora is quite different
Some also need very specific boot parameters (like Arch)
So consult the ISO if you are using something besides *buntu, this is
specifically targeted at *buntu use.
## this will be different on your computer, use the TAB completion
## some are something like (msdos1,1)
*set root=(*hd1,1*) *
## use tab completion here as well if you need
*set isofile=*"/path/to/FILENAME.iso"
## same as the root you set
*loopback loop*(hd1,1)*$isofile*
## the main thing is to include the path to the vmlinuz, and set the
boot= that directory name... you might also need vmlinuz.efi if you are
doing an efi boot
*linux (loop)/*casper/vmlinuz *boot=*casper
## some distros use different compression... so just check
*initrd (loop)/*casper/*initrd*.lz
*boot
*You**can also add a custom grub entry menu.

This could be done from a USB stick, technically, where you keep a bunch
of ISO files, and make custom GRUB entries and boot each on separately

Again, I have not done this in a few years, (I have been using mkusb to
overwwrite the same USB stick, like Nio) so things may have changed some.