[lubuntu-users] [lubuntu-devel] Testing 32-bit systems on a Dell Latitude CPx J650GT laptop

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 00:40:23 UTC 2016

Den 2016-08-29 kl. 22:03, skrev Ian Bruntlett:
> Hi,
>
> I have a rather cranky Dell Latitude CPx J650GT laptop. It only has a CD
> ROM drive and so I can install released Lubuntus, courtesy of the net
> boot iso. However, pre-release isos won't fit on a CD-R. How difficult
> would it be to generate net boot isos of Lubuntu pre-releases?
>
> I've spent a fair amount of time this evening trying to get it to boot
> from USB but failed.
>
> On boot up, when I press F2 to access the BIOS setup menus, the first
> BIOS setup screen appears but the computer hangs and ignores all key
> presses. You have to hold the power button down to switch the system
> off. It might be corrupted BIOS data causing the problem. Any ideas on
> how to fix it?
>
> TIA,
>

> Ian
>
> --
> -- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org
> -- My writing - https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/
> -- Free Software page -
> https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/home/free-software

Hi Ian,

I found this link:

http://www.cnet.com/products/dell-latitude-cpx-j650-14-1-piii-m-128-mb-ram-12-gb-hdd/specs/

Is it describing the computer correctly, or is something different, for
example the CPU? And how much RAM is there?

I think it is too weak for Lubuntu, even with more RAM. See this link

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/AdvancedMethods

Maybe you can make it boot from Plop via USB, and install Lubuntu. If
you have 128 MB RAM, you might be able to use the mini.iso, and you
should be able to use the one button installer in text mode (not the
Lubuntu graphics), if only 128 MB RAM. It would be better with 256 MB,
but still, even if Lubuntu can be installed and runs, it would not
really be a useful tool for normal computer tasks until there is 512 MB
RAM, which is the maximum RAM in that computer according to the cnet link.

Best regards
Nio