[lubuntu-users] alternate beta1

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 18:40:40 UTC 2016

On 08/25/2016 09:14 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> I see that you are testing now.
>
> I tested the i386 iso file, and failed to get wired internet (ethernet).
>
> Hi everybody,
>
> If you know a bit more about networking, please suggest which package
> should be addressed in the bug report (if another package than
> debian-installer). We would also be happy to get tips about a workaround.

Hi Nio,
A couple of things to do would be to check journalctl
journalctl -f
This will follow the most recent issues.. and most likely give you more
info about network-manager since it seems to fail.
journalctl -k
will give you a 'dmesg' kind of output about all the kernel stuff, which
might be helpful.

Another thing to try is
pkill nm-applet
nm-applet
And see if there are any errors.
Often there are a bunch of garbage errors in stripped down systems, or
gtk errors that don't mean much... but there could be something important.

Something else important could be the permissions of:
/usr/lib/dbus-1.0/dbus-daemon-launch-helper

Other possible areas to check:
gnome policykit
consolekit
apparmor

Another major thing would be to check
/etc/network/interfaces
basically ALL that should be there is:
# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

you only want the loopback interface handled this way... nothing like
wlpNsN
enpNsN
where N is a number.
This is the new systemd naming scheme for the old
ethN
wlanN
devices.

running:
ifconfig
should show you some possibly useful info as well.

There are quite a few possibilities for what *could* be wrong with this.

Also, making sure network-manager-gnome is installed with all the
recommends might help....

These are the first initial things that come to mind, that I have dealt
with in other pursuits :)
I would troubleshoot this myself, but as you know there are other things
I currently need to attend to.