[lubuntu-users] red bug: the installer failed in alternate i386 beta1

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 10:32:25 UTC 2016

[bottom posting]

Den 2016-08-24 kl. 06:44, skrev Nio Wiklund:
> Den 2016-08-23 kl. 22:08, skrev Nio Wiklund:
>> Den 2016-08-23 kl. 21:55, skrev Brendan Perrine:

>>> I started writing  1 as a way to do this don't worry it took me a
>>> while to figure it out as well. I
>>>
>>> [1]https://wiki.ubuntu.com/walterorlin/debugging-debian-installer
>>>

>> Nice wiki page, Brendan :-)
>>
>> It is getting late here, and I have to get up early tomorrow, so I will
>> go to bed now. If you have time, please report the bug in the alternate
>> installer, if you are affected too. That would make it reported 12 hours
>> earlier (or more).'
>>
>> Best regards
>> Nio
>
> Hi again,
>
> 1. *Workaround for the desktop installer, ubiquity*
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/1616183
>
> which is considered a duplicate of
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/1611010
>
> I tested when re-located to the New York time zone, and still used
> Swedish language ... it works in amd64, and it works in i386.
>
> -o-
>
> 2. *The network fails in the alternate installer*
>
> I'll be back later about the bug in the alternate installer. You
> commented your test with
>
> "offline in kvm vm I pretty sure I pebkac my virt manager connection. It
> did install in English."
>
> I don't think it is PEBKAC alias "Problem Exists Between Keyboard And
> Chair" because I am affected too, cannot connect my Toshiba laptop, that
> almost always connects willingly (connects with the current desktop iso
> files and older alternate iso files). I think it is a new bug.
>
> http://www.toshiba.se/laptops/satellite-pro/c850/satellite-pro-c850-19w/
>
> I will look into it later today.
>
> Best regards
> Nio

Hi again,

Bug #1616400: Running Lubuntu's Yakkety alternate i386 beta1 installer
fails.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/debian-installer/+bug/1616400

Please mark 'affects me too' if it does. I think we need that kind of
confirmation. Otherwise there will be no debugging.

I arrive at a red screen with the text: "No network interfaces were
found ..."

This is in a Toshiba laptop, that I have used for testing since 2013,
and it works with the corresponding current Lubuntu desktop iso files. I
expect the wired ethernet to work with the alternate iso file like it
worked, when I tested with Yakkety alternate i386 alpha 2.

http://www.toshiba.se/laptops/satellite-pro/c850/satellite-pro-c850-19w/
-----
It works to continue the installation without network. The installed
system boots, but the installed system fails to connect to the internet.
I have not tried to fix it, just noticed that ethernet does not work
'out of the box' as it should in the installed system.

Best regards
Nio