[lubuntu-users] Hardware Usage Stats

Eric Bradshaw ericbradshaw at computers4christians.org
Mon Aug 15 12:42:57 UTC 2016

Does anyone know if there are stats available from Canonical or 3rd
party about hardware.

How many computers with PII, PIII, P4 CPU's etc.,  browsed the various
Ubuntu websites?
In what parts of the world are they used most
What OS are they using?
I came across several websites with some stats but nothing really useful
to form an opinion on questions like the 700MB capacity limit.

It's clear that it is a technical challenge to stay within that limit.
But it is not clear how big the demand is on a global scale to have a
capable OS that can be installed on old hardware without having to jump
trough hoops.

How many boxes still run XP? (or anything worse)
How many boxes run a distro that's no longer supported?
What display size is used on those machines?

Can it be estimated if DVD players are covered on most hardware, or will
there still be a large demand for CD-ROM?.

Regardless if the 700MB limit will be left behind it will be very
interesting to know how many people still rely on old hardware.

Canonical's data would be interesting, but an independent source would
also be good. Or Google's stats, if they still can be trusted... I'm
currently connected trough TOR so Google isn't much help to me....

scrooyahoo,

I don't know where the results are posted, but I've responded to a Brian
Quigley of Canonical twice (once in 2014 and once in 2106) asking about
the ratio of 32 bit users versus 64 bit for Ubuntu and derivatives. I
responded with the numbers I had for downloads of the C4C Lubuntu ReSpin
- and as leader of a group who's refurbished and given away 500+
computers loaded with it.

I momentarily found the results from the 2014 survey with bar charts and
eveything just last week while followng this thread but can't seem to
find it again. And I couldn't locate the 2016 results posted anywhere.

But, Brian Quigley himself would know. You might email him. Here's his
blog post from this year asking for people to take the survey (polling
is closed)
https://bryanquigley.com/crazy-ideas/when-should-i386-support-for-ubuntu-end

Eric

--