[lubuntu-users] [lubuntu-devel] cups not built-in ?

Jan Holtman oulik.jan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 22:28:22 UTC 2016

I see your discussion. In my opinion the most important thing is that a
user gets a complete working system.
Probably the bottom level for Lubuntu is a P4 or a Pentium M with 512MB ram
30 or 40 GB hard-disk.
To get decent performance out of Lubuntu, unless you use it for a
standalone Mp3 player or another simple task you need at least 1GB of ram,
especially for browsing the Internet.
All of these machines probably had at least a combo drive (read DVD, write
CD). More than likely if you had such an old drive in the computer it
already died.
In my experience in hardware optical drives, electrolytic capacitors and
fans are often the first parts that give up.
Machines with only a CD drive are from the P3 era and those machines are
not that suitable in any case.

I think the most important is a good working complete system that is usable
on machines with bottom level P4 or Pentium M and up. PAE and Non PAE
support.
Most important is a good working system.
By the way I still don't understand that yo have to manually set the
swappability from 60 to 10 or 5.
Without doing that if you have low ram your machine becomes really sluggish
when browsing the Internet for example.

My opinion: Performance and a good working system are more important than
cramming and spend a lot of time in trying to cram Lubuntu on a CD.
If the CD only era is gone, well then let it be, performance is the most
important thing.

Also must other distributions are all exceeding 1GB, including LXLE which
is also meant for older PC's

Met vriendelijke groet / Best regards,

Jan Holtman

oulik.jan at gmail.com <1%3Aoulik.jan at gmail.com>