[lubuntu-users] cups not built-in ?

Narcis Garcia informatica at actiu.net
Fri Aug 12 07:33:47 UTC 2016

The lightest variant of Ubuntu, Lubuntu, should fit on a traditional
CD-ROM and should be installable without internet access. This is the
typical scenario (small computer, small internet) where someone chooses
Lubuntu.

I believe all basic variants of Lubuntu should fit on a 700MB CD-ROM:
i386-desktop*
powerpc-desktop*
i386-alternate
powerpc-alternate

- Why Mozilla software is kept instead of CUPS?? What about Midori
browser or others? Firefox is 45MiB compressed, Midori 11MiB, full CUPS
10MiB.
- If someone needs Sylpheed, has internet access, then can install it
after; same with Pidgin and Transmission.
- Abiword can be a good selection; Gnumeric is not too esential as the
word processor is.
- How many partition managers are needed? GParted + gnomedisks ?
- How many package managers are needed? Synaptic + softwarecenter ?
- How many audio players are needed? Audacious + gnomemplayer ?
- Why there are 73MiB (compressed) dedicated to fonts-noto-cjk ? And
8MiB to fonts-nanum ?
- 14MiB (compressed) dedicated to software-center metadata
(app-install-data) ?
- 9MiB for linux-headers ? Need to recompile kernel/modules offline?
- About gnome-icon-theme (9MiB), I believe that it should be split in
gnome-icon-theme-minimal and gnome-icon-theme-full; then select only the
minimal for ISO media.

(*) Live sessions are essential to check if the OS works, before
installing over a previous OS in the computer.

El 11/08/16 a les 20:13, Ian Bruntlett ha escrit: