[lubuntu-users] Installing Lubuntu 16.04 - state of the various bootable USB flash drive utilities?

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 08:48:19 UTC 2016

Den 2016-04-29 kl. 22:44, skrev John Hupp:
> To install Lubuntu from bootable USB flash drive rather than DVD/CD, I
> found
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/InstallingLubuntu>https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/InstallingLubuntu
> (which seems to recommend UNetbootin) and then
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick>https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick
> (which has instructions for usb-creator-gtk, Unetbootin and mkusb -- in
> that order, if significant).
>
> I recall from previous posts that perhaps each of the 3 methods has
> suffered from this bug or that, and that at one time or another one or
> more methods was deprecated and one or more others promoted.
>
> I'm planning on installing the standard 32-bit and 64-bit desktop versions.
>
> Can someone sum up the current state of affairs?

Hi John!

I may be prejudiced, because I made and maintain mkusb ;-)

Furthermore I have kind of 'adopted'

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

I did not even think of changing the order of the recommended tools,
maybe I should :-P

I have also tried hard to make Canonical improve usb-creator-gtk - and
finally succeeded. There is a working version in 16.04 LTS, and we can
hope that it will be SRUed or backported (or whatever it should be
called) to 14.04 LTS and 15.10 (maybe even 12.04 LTS).

-o-

I made mkusb because there were and are issues with the other tools,
particularly when booting in BIOS mode. I think that mkusb works in all
desktop (GUI) Ubuntu and Ubuntu based flavours, re-spins and distros
from all current versions to all current versions, both in BIOS and UEFI
mode.

mkusb can make live-only drives using the very reliable cloning method
of all hybrid iso files (of all linux distros). It can make persistent
live drives of Ubuntu based and Debian Jessie iso files. These
persistent live drives boot in BIOS mode and UEFI mode. But mkusb does
not work in all linux distros. The text-only mkusb-nox and the simpler
mkusb-bas work in Ubuntu Server and older and simpler linux versions,
where they wrap a simple 'safety belt' around dd.

ppa:mkusb/ppa works with Yakkety too.

If you find a bug, please tell me, and I will squash it as soon as
possible :-)

I think Unetbootin works in most cases and many people like it, but
there are reports of problems in some cases.

usb-creator-gtk works sometimes, but is very buggy in 12.04 LTS, 14.04
LTS and 15.10. As described earlier, the version 0.3.2 in 16.04 LTS
works in a reliable way.

Best regards
Nio