[lubuntu-users] Bug report about oversized alternate iso files

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 08:16:27 UTC 2016

Hi everybody,

Yes I know that Julien knows about this problem and intends to fix it in
the alternate iso files of 16.04.1 LTS. I also know that Phill is
writing a help text for using the Ubuntu Server iso file to install
Lubuntu from a CD drive.

But this bug report may be useful for other people - to show that it is
a known issue and help finding workarounds.

Bug #1572429: Lubuntu alternate iso files are oversized for CD disks

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lubuntu-meta/+bug/1572429

Package: lubuntu-desktop or lubuntu-meta. Whatever represents the
selection of installed program packages.

Issue: Even the alternate iso files are oversized. It will not be
possible to install from any Lubuntu 16.04 LTS iso file via a standard
700 MB CD disk (the limit is actually 703.125 Mibibytes). It is
particularly important to keep the i386 (32-bit) image small, because it
is used in *old computers* with 32-bit hardware, and some of these
computers are difficult to boot from other boot media than CD disks.

Workarounds:

1. Boot from DVD or USB where it works.

2. Boot (chainload) via Plop to Lubuntu on USB where it works.

3. Boot Ubuntu Server or Ubuntu mini.iso (within CD size) and install
the package 'lubuntu-desktop', if CD is the only alternative.

Best regards
Nio