Adjust for Audacious drop-outs?

Thu May 21 17:40:18 UTC 2015

On 05/21/2015 11:24 AM, John Hupp wrote:
> Before I resort to one of the exercises to try to make JACK and
> PulseAudio coexist, I would like to continue trying to make PulseAudio
> work better.  I return to the thought that VLC works fine on a
> standalone without JACK, presumably using PulseAudio, though I suppose
> it could be using ALSA directly.  So I'm likewise hoping that
> Audacious + PulseAudio can work well for me on this hardware.
>
> But just going a step farther into the JACK + PulseAudio scenario, do
> you just run JACK manually as needed via qjackctl, or have you
> implemented one of the coexistence options outlined at
> http://jackaudio.org/faq/pulseaudio_and_jack.html?
John:

In my VLC audio preferences, I have PulseAudio selected.  There is a
separate choice for ALSA, which I do not use.

Some time ago (a year or two?) I got information from this e-mail list
on how to make JACK and PulseAudio co-exist, and using that information,
I made the changes that let them co-exist successfully.

Months later, when I upgraded to a new level of Lubuntu, I couldn't
remember those special configuration steps, so I now just run one or the
other, depending on what I need.

At least, they put in fixes so that if you accidentally run both at the
same, it now doesn't hang your system, as it used to do years ago.

--
Sincerely,
Aere