Adjust for Audacious drop-outs?

Thu May 21 16:58:40 UTC 2015

On 05/21/2015 10:04 AM, John Hupp wrote:
> Running Audacious with JACK looks like it solves the dropout behavior
> (though I have not tested it on the fat clients yet), but I see that
> JACK and PulseAudio don't get along well together, especially on a
> machine with only one sound device:
> http://jackaudio.org/faq/pulseaudio_and_jack.html
>
> So for a general-purpose desktop it looks like it would be much better
> if I could get things working with PulseAudio.
John:

I use VLC a fair amount, and I have not yet encountered the
up-to-minutes-long dropouts of the problem reported.

When I don't have JACK running, I use VLC.

I use Audacious a lot, practicing improvising music along with audio
files, and I use JACK because my music software needs the low-latency it
provides.

I installed PulseAudio on my machines because the Java configuration for
(all) Ubuntu (variants) presumes PulseAudio is present (for the Java
Sound (Gervill) synthesizer).

On low-spec machines, the Java Sound Synthesizer won't work, but on
those same machines, Qsynth (using JACK) works fine.

I just thought about something that may be helping me
(configuration-wise) that you probably don't have.

In the "/etc/security/limits.d" directory, I have a file named
"aere.conf" (my user name is aere).  Its name and contents are user-name
dependent.  In my case, its contents are:

aere - rtprio 85
aere - memlock unlimited

I created this file at the suggestion of the Fluidsynth developers, to
allow Fluidsynth (Qsynth) to work on low-spec machines, and when I made
this configuration change, it made a major positive difference.

I don't know if it has any affect on the Audacious audio drop-outs, but
is permanently in my system.