Adjust for Audacious drop-outs?

Wed May 20 20:34:32 UTC 2015

On 05/20/2015 01:58 PM, John Hupp wrote:
> On a 14.04.2 i386 desktop with a P4 @ 3.0GHz + Hyperthreading and 2GB,
> I find that Audacious skips/drops out a lot at the beginning of a CD
> track (or MP3), then after the first 30 seconds or so the problem
> decreases and is only occasional (perhaps 1-2x minute).
>
> Starting from the default settings for everything, I increased the
> buffering from 500 ms to 1000, 1500, 2000 then 3000).  There was some
> improvement but the problem did not disappear.
>
> By contrast, playback by VLC Player (granted, a heavier program) was
> as smooth as butter from the first note on both CD's and MP3's.
>
> Can I solve the Audacious problem with further settings changes?

John:

This problem is easy to solve, but it is not obvious to do what you need
to do.

What you need to do, is within Adacious, get to its menu.

Since I have the compact graphics 'skin' mode, I right-click on its
title-bar to get its menu.

In that menu, select "Plugin Services", and within that selected
sub-menu, select "Play CD".

If you play CDs that way, you get no drop-outs, at least, I get no
drop-outs using JACK.  I used to get the drop-outs you describe before I
learned this trick.