Re: Lubuntu 14 && U-MATE 15 installer issues [PPC]

Peter Golis golisp at centrum.sk
Mon May 18 10:49:42 UTC 2015

Hello Fritz,
If I can remember your situation correctly, then you had chabged something and system got into troubless.

First issue was your change of bootstrap to unsupported size, may be you had not followed bootstrap but normal disk partition for data. You had confirmed it with picture of standard disk layout with correct bootstrap.

Next issue was related to sound card, you got confirmation how to proceed with loading of snd-aoa-i2sbus to confirm if that bug is only wrong i2s autodetecttion in upstream kernel which becomes from migration from driver snd-powermac to bunch of drivers snd-aoa-*. No feedback was received. That is allready confirmed in HOWTO.

Another issue was regarding no network. On your notebook are two network cards. Metalic sungem does not have issues on most kernels which I had tested, but wireless b43 need to have active old fassioned driver. Again you got information how to proceed, but no feedback was received.

But you had provided log from xwindow system with kernel argument to use open firmware frame buffer.

Now you are informing about issues in kernel for Ubuntu Mate which difefrent Ubuntu derivate than Lubuntu. I'm nor sure what you mean with that all information.

P.

> Od: Fritz Hudnut <este.el.paz at gmail.com>
> Komu: Peter Golis <golisp at centrum.sk>
> Dátum: 17.05.2015 23:56
> Predmet: Re: Lubuntu 14 && U-MATE 15 installer issues [PPC]
>
> CC: "lubuntu user list"
@Peter:

Yes, my sense of humor is very sophisticated . . . very dry . . . .  But, in this case I'm not using it very well . . . or the joke is on me . . . .  However, I'm not sure that you understand how broken this system is . . . sometimes I can boot the system and get to a TTY and others times not--due to kernel dump/freezes.  So, it's not like I have time to mess with you, the system is messing with me, and, then I'm using what is very limited CLI knowledge to try to do commands that will either fix the problems or provide data that might be helpful to others . . . such as yourself.  My time is very valuable to me and this isn't really funny to me . . . it should be that since PPC machines have stood still technologically for the last ten years that the knowledge of what is needed to run them should be very clear--but nothing seems to be further from what is happening with powerpc development, given the evidence presented with this install of 15.04 PPC.

Yesterday I posted my situation on the Ubuntu-MATE forum and a few hours later I got a reply from Martin Winpress, who seems to be the lead on the ubuntu + MATE team . . . and he said, "There are serious big endian problems with Xorg 1.7, check with G+ to see how other PPC users are using Xorg 1.6 . . . . "

So, that tells me that there are "big endian" problems with the system . . . and, that seems to be including some issues with the installer, as well as the installed system--whereas the live DVD appeared to be "OK."

Back to our conversation, first thing, "apport" was **not** installed with the system, and I spent some hours trying to find a similar bug or figure out exactly what is happening so that I could "file" about it . . . .  Is this a "syslinux" problem?  Crash?  Or, problem with a "package"??  Actually all of the above.  So, taking time to again figure out that each time the system is booted the ethernet connection is again "broken" and has to be "restarted" and then messing around trying to get a TTY to show up I installed "python-apport" and "pastebinit" while I was at it.  Then I tried to "apport-collect" to a bug number . . . .that attempt failed because there is no GUI to open Firefox.  It is a "known issue" that wifi is not included, and also, no sound.  A new "error" listed pre-splash was "build/buildd/linux-3.19.0/drivers/rtc/hctosys.c: unable to open rtc device (rtc0) ????  Along with the "i2c" error that showed up in 14.04, but which didn't seem to interfere wi
 th running the system, perhaps relating to no sound?

Then I spent further time trying to find data on which "logs" would be helpful, because actually you didn't name any, you just requested "evidence" . . . .  And, then I tried a test run of pastebinit to upload what looked like the smallest log, but one which multiple forum sites were requesting from people, the Xorg.0.log . . . .  Which unfortunately didn't seem to show much, but I chose it rather than looking through 8000 lines of the other log, the kern.log . . . didn't seem to be any obvious errors there either, but is huge.  Again, I asked you what files/logs you would want to see, but you instead have chosen to comment about my "sense of humor."

Much of this stuff I have also repeated, but I'm stating it again.  1. Problems with manual installer  2. GUI gets to splash, then "freezes"  3. Once the GUI freezes TTY will not open  4.  Booting into Single user will also crash or screen goes black  5.  If TTY can be opened from single user then "dependency" problems are breaking the ethernet connection  6.  Upgrading to new kernel (post 5/8/15 download) . . . did **not** fix any of the fore-going problems . . . .  7.  It now appears to be known that there are "big endian problems with Xorg 1.7"  8.  Xorg.0.log  did not provide any evidence to any of these Big endian problems with Xorg 1.7.