Re: Lubuntu 14 && U-MATE 15 installer issues [PPC]

Peter Golis golisp at centrum.sk
Fri May 15 08:47:31 UTC 2015

Hello Fritz,
I had asked "how to create NewWorld bootblock (bootstrap) with different size than is supported by OFI" to use for booting from it. So, what was your way how to create partition which was called by you as NewWorld bootblock (bootstrap) with bigger size?

Correct way to create that kind of partition is below and there is no supported way how to make it bigger than size of old floppy which was mounted in ancient Apple systems.

# I had make sparse file attached as loop block device for example to show way how to proceed manyally to create it with commands:
#root at iMac-Mini:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/fake-disk bs=1 count=0 seek=8G
#0+0 records in
#0+0 records out
#0 bytes (0 B) copied, 0.00163524 s, 0.0 kB/s
#root at iMac-Mini:~# losetup /dev/loop0 /tmp/fake-disk
root at iMac-Mini:~# mac-fdisk /dev/loop0
/dev/loop0
Command (? for help): i
size of 'device' is 16777216 blocks:
new size of 'device' is 16777216 blocks
Command (? for help): w
IMPORTANT: You are about to write a changed partition map to disk.
For any partition you changed the start or size of, writing out
the map causes all data on that partition to be LOST FOREVER.
Make sure you have a backup of any data on such partitions you
want to keep before answering 'yes' to the question below!

Write partition map? [n/y]: y
The partition map has been saved successfully!

Syncing disks.

Partition map written to disk. If any partitions on this disk
were still in use by the system (see messages above), you will need
to reboot in order to utilize the new partition map.

Command (? for help): p
/dev/loop0
          #                    type name                 length   base     ( size )  system
/dev/loop01     Apple_partition_map Apple                    63 @ 1        ( 31.5k)  Partition map
/dev/loop02              Apple_Free Extra              16777152 @ 64       (  8.0G)  Free space

Block size=512, Number of Blocks=16777216
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

Command (? for help): b
First block: 64
/dev/loop02         Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap              1600 @ 64       (800.0k)  NewWorld bootblock
/dev/loop03              Apple_Free Extra              16775552 @ 1664     (  8.0G)  Free space

Block size=512, Number of Blocks=16777216
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

Command (? for help): w
IMPORTANT: You are about to write a changed partition map to disk.
For any partition you changed the start or size of, writing out
the map causes all data on that partition to be LOST FOREVER.
Make sure you have a backup of any data on such partitions you
want to keep before answering 'yes' to the question below!

Write partition map? [n/y]: y
The partition map has been saved successfully!

Syncing disks.

Partition map written to disk. If any partitions on this disk
were still in use by the system (see messages above), you will need
to reboot in order to utilize the new partition map.

Command (? for help): q
root at iMac-Mini:~#

Regarding syslem logs, you had again not provided any refference to error.

P.
> Od: Fritz Hudnut <este.el.paz at gmail.com>
> Komu: Peter Golis <golisp at centrum.sk>
> Dátum: 15.05.2015 04:47
> Predmet: Re: Lubuntu 14 && U-MATE 15 installer issues [PPC]
>
> CC: "lubuntu user list"
@Peter:

Well, the problem was replicated over 4 attempts to use "manual" partition install . . . 2 with Lubuntu 14.04 installer and 2 with U-MATE 15.04 . . . I don't know how else to describe what I did . . . 10 MB for New World Boot, 11GB or so for ext4, 1.6 GB for swap . . . .  The installer would then flag both New World and ext4 as "/" . . . attempts to change either one of those options was not accepted by the installer -- it would show an error . . . .

Only when I ran it as automatic did it go through . . . this was from two versions of the desktop image . . . a month ago I ran an install through the ubuntu 14.04 mini installer . . . using my usual "manual" choices and that install was "OK" . . . only problem was picking GNOME DE which was listed in the drop down menu . . . was too much for my system . . . defaulted to XFCE . . . .

"Dumps"??  Seems like it, the dmesg list ending with "p link is down" is the last line that shows . . . system "freezes" after that.

At one point I read through 1000 lines via systemctl . . . something . . . and a number of red lines showed up . . . and there was a ***Dependency*** problem listed . . . I'm thinking it was around the ethernet, "network-manager" . . . I'm away from that machine right now, but I've posted most of this data already . . . but it seemed to indicate a dependency missing for network-manager . . . which is my present issue.