Check my upstart script code?

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Wed May 13 19:04:47 UTC 2015

On 05/13/2015 08:52 AM, John Hupp wrote:
> On 5/13/2015 8:30 AM, Israel wrote:
>
> Hi, Israel.  Interesting thoughts.  Someone on the Ubuntu list thought
> that the upstart approach probably wouldn't work because 1) $HOME is
> not part of the upstart environment (which I believe is true, and
> which you would attempt to work around), and 2) the upstart job would
> run as root, so even if available, $HOME wouldn't have the value I
> wanted.  If #2 is correct, then I imagine 'xdg-user-dir HOME' likewise
> would not return the value I wanted.
>
> But he did acknowledge that he was not highly knowledgeable about
> upstart, so maybe #2 is suspect.
>
> In any case, when the upstart job was not working for me, I bolted and
> used a script + autostarting desktop shortcut, which did work.

Hi again John,
if this is for your own personal use (i.e. not needing to be used by
other users, etc...)
you could make a hack and hard code your path:
/home/john
(or whatever it is)
but, I DON'T REALLY RECOMMEND HARD-CODED PATHS EVER!!!!!!
:D

The desktop file solution, with something similar to:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=awesomeness
Comment=Make awesomeness
Exec=/path/to/script-awesomeness
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=System;
StartupNotify=false

would be much more portable, as it has been pointed out, upstart is a
technology that may be phased out.
AFAIK scripting will live on for a loooooooooong while.
Desktop files seem to be here for the foreseeable future

So a desktop file with a script seems to be the nicest, easiest method,
unless using xdg helps.

I think it is *better* to do it this way, as the DE will be loaded and
you will be logged in.

I do something similar for my touchpad.  I have an autostart that sets
all the synclient parameters I want (there are really no front ends that
have the options I want... like 3 finger middle click)

--
Regards