Lubuntu 14 && U-MATE 15 installer issues [PPC]

Fritz Hudnut este.el.paz at gmail.com
Wed May 13 16:09:31 UTC 2015

> Hi,
> I'd also like to point out that some iBooks can boot from USB.
> This most recent Lubuntu PPC image worked well for me from USB.
> I haven't had enough time to really test some of my previous issues
> (sound!!!).
> In order to use a USB you need a tool like mkusb
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb> to create the drive, or know
> exactly what you are doing and use dd manually.
>
> Then at the OpenFirmware prompt you can use something like
>
> boot usb1/@1:2,\\yaboot
>
> (the numbers depend on which USB port you are using... you can cycle
> through them until you find it)

@Israel:

Thanks for the thoughts, I did spend some time trying to get my iBook to
boot a USB drive, following the PowerPCFAQ instructions but could not get
it to work . . . cost/benefit ratio was exceeded in terms of time spent on
it . . . .  It's possible that it might be done, my iBook was not
responding to any of the suggested open firmware commands . . . .