Lubuntu 14 && U-MATE 15 installer issues [PPC]

Fritz Hudnut este.el.paz at gmail.com
Wed May 13 15:13:36 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 1:23 AM, Peter Golis <golisp at centrum.sk> wrote:

> Hello Fritz,
>
> Did you had try to press "c" before chime will play during boot initial
> sequence with loaded PowerPC bootable medium, or do you want only to
> discuss about that problem without any try to fix your deleted yaboot after
> you had deleted "NewWorld bootblock"?
>

> I will recommend Lubuntu 14.04(.02) Mac (PowerPC) and IBM-PPC (POWER5)
> desktop image to be burn onto CD/DVD and used for that task. Your choice
> with Super Grub looks good as is based on GRUB. GRUB support PowerPC with
> boot from Open Firmware (IEEE 1275-1994), but Super Grub was not tested
> ieee1275. So, your choice was wrong.
>

> P.

Peter:

Definitely my choice was, as you so aptly and succinctly put it . . .
wrong.  But, I have to move forward and not beat myself up about it,
because it's done . . . .  I've been had, bro . . . .  : - )))

Latest update:  I'm absolving myself of culpability in the matter and
suggesting that there is some "bug" at work in 15.04; if I get the time I
will try to report it . . . but, then this is PPC.  Evidence:   Yesterday
evening I was able to boot the install DVD holding the "c" key before the
chime, and I fiddled around with some apps, and was able to open a TTY from
the desktop image--both things I couldn't do from the install.

Then I tried to boot into the install, Yaboot windows opens and I hit "L"
and just for good measure I added the "video=ofonly radeon.agpmodexxxx"
boot params.  We got to the U-MATE splash, then a "dmesg" like log opens
which runs through a few [OK] and then freezes at "Starting Authenticate
and Authorize Users to run privileged tasks . . . p link was shut down."
And it freezes there . . . still can't get to TTY once that happens.

Shut the unit down rebooted--went in through the back door as single user,
which I believe possibly another bug, logged me in as root w/o asking for
password???  I'll have to check that one again, as I was frantically trying
to "fix" my problem I didn't care.  I ran my "ybin -v"  and saw the
"blessing this w/penguin pee" . . . I opened the Yaboot.conf file and saw
that my radeon append line was indeed there.  I opened the
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file and saw that it was there . . . I ran "systemctl
default" . . . it said it was in "rescue mode" . . . rebooted, and it went
back into the freeze.

Back into single user, tried to run apt-get update and it showed a bunch of
errors . . . failure to connect . . . aha, so we are back into the "network
manager" bug from awhile back . . . some things never change.  I tried to
"ping google.com"  and message not received.  Then I ran out of time.  So,
the whole thing is a tad weird . . . somehow apt can "see" that upgrades
are available, including a kernel, and I recall seeing "dhcp" listed . . .
but trying to run the upgrade fails . . . ?????  How does it "know" stuff
is available for upgrade????  if it can't connect????

So, next step will be to try to repair the ethernet in 15.04 . . . which
worked in the live desktop, and is working now back in OSX . . . and then
see if I can run the upgrades.  I'll play around with it for a bit, does
seem to be quite buggy, if it wasn't for the fact that I get a kick out of
the GNOME floating feet screensaver I would and possibly will drop back to
14.04.  I hadn't planned on moving my PPC stuff beyond 14.04, it was only
because the install didn't work using Lu 14.04 "manual" that I tried 15.04
. . . .   15 ***might** be fixable with my limited skills and wrong choices
. . . or not worth it.