Other in Menu

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Wed May 13 02:15:44 UTC 2015

On 05/11/2015 10:58 PM, Istimsak Abdulbasir wrote:

> What does XDG mean and what dies it do?

X Desktop Group

Basically this is a freedesktop project which aims to standardize things
across the diverse GNU operating systems and desktop environments.

There are XDG directories for the user, for the base (where do
applications install?), where is the configuration stored for a
particular DE, etc..

Here is some stuff about the base directories
http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html

freedesktop also made the desktop file and menu specifications as well
as Mime-types and a few other things (like icon themes, etc..), they are
not formal standards, but collections of existing standards and
documents related to the X desktop and they promote sharing these
standards between desktops (XFCE, LXDE, GNOME, Unity, most likely KDE
all use many of these XDG_ variables and you also have at least a few
xdg programs installed:

xdg-desktop-icon          xdg-mime                  xdg-user-dir
xdg-desktop-menu          xdg-open                  xdg-user-dirs-gtk-update
xdg-email                 xdg-screensaver           xdg-user-dirs-update
xdg-icon-resource         xdg-settings

It is actually a very cool resource that I have used very extensively
the past year.  That is why I knew about this stuff :)

I actually ran into an issue with PCManFM not displaying icons in the
menu://applications because I did not export the XDG menu variable prior
to starting my environment.

wikipedia has a nice article about the freedesktop project as well
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedesktop.org