Other in Menu

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Tue May 12 01:34:32 UTC 2015

Hi Eric,
(you may have found a bug)

You could edit the menu file, though I am not sure what this would do...

(we already know the prefix, but just for posterity)
find what menu prefix is being used.
i.e.
echo $XDG_MENU_PREFIX
lxde-

You can find the menus in
/etc/xdg/menus
such as
lxde-applications.menu

Here is the OTHER portion
    <!-- Other -->
    <Menu>
        <Name>Other</Name>
        <Directory>lxde-other.directory</Directory>
        <OnlyUnallocated/>
        <Include>
            <And>
                <Not><Category>Core</Category></Not>
                <Not><Category>Settings</Category></Not>
                <Not><Category>Screensaver</Category></Not>
            </And>
        </Include>
        </Menu> <!-- End Other -->

It seems that there is some sort of issue

(from xterm.desktop)
Categories=System;TerminalEmulator;Utility;

So, it should end up in System or Accessories (utility), as only the
Additional Categories:
http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/menu-spec-latest.html#additional-category-registry
and reserved categories should end up in Other....
TerminalEmulator is an additional category, but System and Utility are
standard

I wonder what other applications end up there?