Lubuntu 14 && U-MATE 15 installer issues [PPC]

Tue May 12 01:02:23 UTC 2015

On 05/11/2015 12:54 PM, Fritz Hudnut wrote:

> On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 8:59 AM, Aere Greenway
> <Aere at dvorak-keyboards.com <mailto:Aere at dvorak-keyboards.com>> wrote:
>
>     I always use the "Something Else" (manual partitioning) option,
>     and it has (so far) always worked for me.
>
>     The thing I see in your e-mail snippet above that makes me wonder,
>     is your "new world boot" partition.
>
>     One of the partitions that Linux looks-for, and creates if
>     necessary, is:
>
>     /boot
>
>     Your "new world boot" partition would not be recognized as
>     "/boot", so presumably it would create its own "/boot" partition
>     under "/". But perhaps there are other things you did in the
>     manual partitioning (such as where GRUB is installed) that could
>     cause a conflict.
>
>     I recall that in installing Linux alongside Mac OS X (using manual
>     partitioning), I needed to create a small partition (of a name the
>     installer suggested) into-which the boot-loader (GRUB) is installed.
>

> Aere:
>
> Thanks for the thoughts . . . I for the most part have mostly used
> "something else" with manual partition, on Intel MBPro . . . the "boot
> loader" partition is "bios_grub" and grub is installed there.  Without
> that partition it says "successful install" . . . but system will not
> boot into linux.
>
> But, PPC is a tad different in that it uses Yaboot . . . and I usually
> am short on time so I haven't looked into the PowerPCFAQ author's
> suggestion to try GRUB  . . . and, with some installs if I try to use
> "automatic" it won't install Yaboot . . . so I also lately have been
> using "manual" and in this case I've done it a number of times,
> previously no problems with the install selecting "new world boot" as
> the label for Yaboot, and ext4 flagged as "/" . . . and on some forum
> it may have been said that "Yaboot might not install into the
> partition, but it looks for it" . . . .
>
> But, mainly posting here because there was some discussion about
> "installer issues with desktop iso"???  My last install on the iBook
> was not that long ago and I used the mini installer and blithely
> selected "GNOME DE" from the drop down menu, not knowing that GNOME
> required 1GHz processor . . . other than that the install went well .
> . . using my same "manual" partition scheme that I used in the last
> two attempts.  So something seems to have changed, I don't recall
> seeing the "/" label on the New World Boot partition the last time,
> and I was/am thinking that the dual "/" caused "internal conflict" in
> the installer's "mind" . . . but, neither one of them could be
> adjusted or changed . . . . I'm assuming that from what you are saying
> that "/boot" label would go on Yaboot/grub partition???  But, there
> was no choice provided for any label there, only in the "ext4"
> partition could options for "/home" or something like that be made in
> a drop down menu . . . but ***historically*** I always picked "/" for
> [...]
Fritz:

In my e-mail to you that you responded-to, I was confusing the partition
name with the mount-point.  If the installer doesn't give you the choice
of the mount-point you need, you can type it into the combo-box.

I have not tried installing Linux along-side a PPC Mac.  My two Mac
machines are Mac OS X 10.6.8 (32-bit), and Mac OS X 10.8.6 (64-bit).  I
use rEFIt for my initial menu of which system to boot. Both are MacBooks.