Lubuntu 14 && U-MATE 15 installer issues [PPC]

Fritz Hudnut este.el.paz at gmail.com
Mon May 11 21:10:27 UTC 2015

@wxl:

Thanks for the reply . . . indeed, the discussion I saw, couple talking
heads . . . has nothing to do with this problem . . . but then I didn't
hear them say "Snappy" either . . . but I only gave them about 5 minutes to
access the focus of their effort.

@Peter:

Thanks also for your thoughts . . . however, past efforts to "boot open
firmware" to try to boot a USB flash edition based upon the PowerPCFAQ
instructions were ***not successful**** for my '04 era iBook G4 . . . well,
I was able to boot into open firmware . . . but none of the supplied
options on the FAQ did anything . . . and that included something like
"//yaboot"???? that was trying to boot the yaboot file in the USB flash . .
. .  Point being, that I would need detailed directions on how to try that
. . . and possibly that machine would not comply.

In terms of the "boot with c key" to boot the cdrom, right, that should
have worked, but didn't . . . it went to the Yaboot window, and then
selecting "c" for cdrom . . . brought some error . . . might have then been
able to hit "return" and then tried "L" . . . leading to the frozen
dmesg??? list, OR I can reboot into OSX . . . .

My thought is to again try to boot the linux install disk and try to run
the install again and see if it "recognizes" anything as "installed" . . .
and then tries to repair . . . .  To the best of my knowledge Yaboot
doesn't have a "recovery" mode like GRUB does . . . .  Or . . . if that
fails . . . "nuke and pave" . . . once again.

One way or another, it isn't per se the install that is the issue, I got
the system installed . . . and could probably do it again.  It's just the
fact that using my usual "manual" partition method did not work . . . and
possibly this may relate to some of these recent "installer" issues????