Fwd: [Lubuntu-admins] 15.04 - Installation Experience

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Tue May 5 13:28:21 UTC 2015

Den 2015-05-03 01:35, Nio Wiklund skrev:
> Den 2015-05-03 00:31, Aere Greenway skrev:

>>> Hi Aere,
>>>
>>> I have the same experience as you. A couple of days ago the Ubuntu
>>> Startup Disk Creator failed for me again (in 14.04.2 trying to install
>>> 15.04). Unetbootin from the developer's PPA works well, and mkusb works
>>> well.
>>>
>>> What trickled down a couple of days ago did not pass the test. See
>>> this link
>>>
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/usb-creator/+bug/1325801
>>>
>>> comment #117 and the following comments.
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> Nio
>>>

>> Nio:
>>
>> I think my case is different.
>>
>> In my case, I used the startup disk creator on a working (and
>> fully-updated) 15.04 system, so there should not be an incompatibility
>> with the bootloader.
>>
>> It was an UbuntuGnome 15.04 system I built the USB drive on.  Would
>> there be an incompatibility between the bootloader on UbuntuGnome 15.04,
>> as opposed to Xubuntu 15.04?
>>
>> The USB drive created this way did boot successfully on a machine, and I
>> was able to install (and test) software in the persistent storage.
>>
>> But when I booted that USB drive (successfully) on another machine, and
>> actually installed a Xubuntu 15.04 system to that machine's hard-drive,
>> after (successfully) doing so, the next time I tried to boot the USB
>> drive, it got the kernel panic error I reported before.
>>
>> There appears to be something done during system installation (and
>> manual partitioning) of the target machine's hard-drive that corrupts
>> the USB drive containing the installation media.  There was no such
>> problem when I had no persistent storage space on the USB drive (I only
>> tried this once).
>>

> I see, Aere,
>
> Maybe the method used in the Startup Disk Creator is too complicated, or
> the programming is too sloppy, so that nobody really knows what is
> happening inside it, and therefore one bug after the other appears.
>
> It is nice when it works, but Unetbootin is much more stable for
> creating persistent drives.
>
> mkusb using the cloning method is very simple and just works. Its ISO
> 9660 read-only file system resists many attempts to overwrite it, but I
> have not been able to store persistence in the same drive (only in
> another drive, internal or external).
>
> Best regards
> Nio

Hi again,

One step further with the Ubuntu Startup Disk Creator:

I finally found that bug 1325801

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/usb-creator/+bug/1325801

is fixed now with some tweaks by Yu Ning. But there is another bug, that
stopped me, when I tested it. I was trying to flash Lubuntu 15.04
desktop 32-bit into a pendrive from an installed Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS
64-bit system.

After some testing Yu Ning told me "I guess you are burning the i386 ISO
on an amd64 host machine? This was a blind spot in previous patch for
vivid, it assumes host arch == target arch."

In other words, you can only create pendrives with 64-bit systems from a
64-bit system or pendrives with 32-bit systems from a 32-bit system.

I am able to create a Lubuntu 15.04 desktop 64-bit pendrive from that
Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS 64-bit system. Persistence works.

Maybe someone wants to try to create a Lubuntu 15.04 desktop 32-bit
pendrive from a Lubuntu 14.04.2 LTS 32-bit system. In that case, please
apply Yu Ning's tweaks that you find in comment # 124.

Best regards
Nio