No suspend after XFCE Power Manager added (Israel)

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 22:07:38 UTC 2015

On 03/25/2015 10:03 AM, Fritz Hudnut wrote:

> Lars, et al:
>
> I also would like "suspend/resume" to actually work. I think Lars and
> I have filed bug reports about this in the fairly recent past . . .
> and which does not really seem to have been addressed, as it still
> remains an issue in my PPC computers running various linux/ubuntu
> OSs.  Whereas, in the same computers, running OSX . . . no problem.
>
> I'm seeing these two other suggestions about how to potentially fix
> the problem . . . one might ask if it was so simple why haven't the
> devs just fixed it?
>
> But, interesting to note that "before XFCE power manager it worked" .
> . . as most systems seem to use it . . . .  Over on my LM MBPro,
> "suspend" does work, although it can have "issues" about "waking" . .
> . .  This single problem is one significant barriar to more consistent
> use of linux as a frontline OS . . . I don't like to have the computer
> fan/processor blowing madly while I'm not actively using the computer,
> and like to be able to "wake up" faster than a cold boot at times
> throughout the day.
>
> But, Israel, you are saying that simply by creating a file that
> contains 5 short lines that the suspend/resume will be working?
> Again, why then are the devs not including those 5 lines in an
> update/upgrade patch?

Hi Fritz,
I use that file in a minimal install setting.  I like to use JWM on the
iBook, as it is much faster than LXDE.
I do not know how it will interact with Lubuntu, though.  I have
successfully used it on my iBook.

This allows me to manually run:
*
Shutdown*
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit
/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Manager org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Stop
*Suspend*
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.UPower
/org/freedesktop/UPower org.freedesktop.UPower.Suspend
*Restart*
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit
/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Manager
org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Restart

You can save these in a desktop file for ease, but I assume the Lubuntu
shutdown utility uses dbus/consolekit to shutdown... though I have never
looked at the code.