Lubuntu, PAE, and 4GB of memory

Eric Bradshaw ericbradshaw at computers4christians.org
Sun Mar 22 03:40:16 UTC 2015

I'm running Lubuntu 14.10 on a Dell Optiplex GX270, with the max 4GB of
memory installed. When I do a 'free -h' at the command prompt, it shows
max memory of 3.2GB. Given that Lubuntu 14.10 requires a processor
capable of using PAE, you'd think it would use it to make use of that
other .8GB of memory. Do I have to do something to enable that? Ben

Ben,

Someone else more technical than I can chime-in and/or correct me if I'm
wrong; but I don't believe you can do anything to "enable" the RAM
available. I think it's being taken up by the computer system itself.

First there is the CPU, then everything that's integrated like sound,
networking, and especially video (this is likely eating up quite a bit),
plus any cards that have been added, plus everything that's connected
such as the keyboard, mouse, webcam, etc. The amount of *available* RAM
is what's left.

But, because you're running Lubuntu - you likely have more available RAM
than you would if you were running vanilla Ubuntu (and more still than
if running Windows).

Eric
--
Thank You,