Add to desktop (menu icons)

Tue Mar 17 20:38:19 UTC 2015

On 03/17/2015 02:16 AM, Steven Duckworth wrote:
> Greetings all!
>
> When I first installed Lubuntu the "add to desktop" function worked.
> Now it doesn't. This is when I click on the Lubuntu button on bottom
> left, mouse over an item and right click to add the icon to the desktop.
> I also notice that when I want exit this roll up menu, it freezes for
> a while, and does not disappear.
> Can anyone help with this?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve
>
> --
> http://lubuntu.net/
> http://www.canonical.com/
> https://www.shuttleworthfoundation.org/

Steve:

Usually, I just click on the Lubuntu Menu icon (far left of the
task-bar), and the menu will disappear on the first (or second) try.

I just tried it (adding PulseAudio Volume Control to the desktop), and
it worked that way.  I'm using 14.04.

However, in experimenting more with this, I ended up with the first menu
staying there, without ever going away - regardless what I did.

In that state I could move the mouse-pointer around and click on things,
but nothing would respond - even the shut-down menu, or switching to
another workspace.

The CPU indicator in the taskbar showed no above normal activity, but my
system was essentially hung, and the ONLY way I could get out of it, was
by turning off the power.

This is apparently a very dangerous thing to experiment with...