Light-locker doesn't work under LTSP

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Tue Mar 17 20:25:36 UTC 2015

On 3/13/2015 5:56 PM, Brendan Perrine wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Mar 2015 16:43:54 -0400
> John Hupp <lubuntu at prpcompany.com> wrote:
>
>> I find that screen locking doesn't work with Lubuntu + LTSP, because
> The thing is with i3lock you are not taken back to display manager so in phyiscal systems with mutliple users another family member couldn't log themselves in graphically.
>
> It has some silly options like being able to set a solid color or even an image as the lock screen. I am not sure how it works over lstp.

Thanks, Brendan.  To the extent that I dug a little further among the
screen savers/lockers that lxlock supports (xscreensaver,
gnome-screensaver, slock, xlock, i3lock and xdg-screensaver), I found
that slock is too simple and a tad alarming (just a black screen with no
indication about what is going on, and if you type anything the screen
turns blue -- again with no explanation).  Xlock is no longer in the
repos (considered insecure).  And I'm */imagining/* that xscreensaver,
gnome-screensaver and xdg-screensaver bring a lot of dependency baggage
and perhaps some unwanted effects.  (With xscreensaver, for instance, we
used to have to log in at 2 screens after a resume.)

So I stopped at i3lock as a decent compromise.  It's a very light
package, and I can create a static screen explaining that the screen is
locked and the user should enter the password.

I would prefer an actual login screen such as we get with light-locker,
but I didn't take the time to see if xscreensaver, gnome-screensaver or
xdg-screensaver could be installed without big dependencies and
configured to provide just a clean screen-lock function.