Startup Disk Creator

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 15:09:24 UTC 2015

Den 2015-06-29 14:09, Ian Bruntlett skrev:
> Hi,
>
> I carry around a LinuxVoice DVD with Ubuntu / Kubuntu / Xubuntu /
> lubuntu 14.04 on it.
>
> I also carry a 1GB USB flash drive so, in an emergency, I can install
> lubuntu 14.04 LTS (32 bit). Its formatted as FAT32.
>
> I decided to rewrite the flash drive using a 14.04 lubuntu 32 bit image.
> I used Startup Disk Creator and it consistently failed after I typed in
> the (correct) password when the finally bit of writing needed my password.
>
> I have tried checking the USB flash drive out - in particular I've
> formatted it, copied .tar.gz files to it and checked the .tar.gzs for
> errors. No errors there.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Also, after 9 months, PDFs of previous Linux Voice issues are available
> from http://www.linuxvoice.com/creative-commons-issues/
>
> BW,
>

> Ian
>
> --
> -- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org
> -- My writing - https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/
> -- Free Software page -
> https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/home/free-software

Hi Ian,

The Ubuntu Startup Disk Creator wants an ISO file. What .tar.gzs did you
copy and check?

I think it helps, if the pendrive is empty (formatted to FAT32, but no
files), when you use the Startup Disk Creator. The Lubuntu iso file is
smaller than 1 GB, but I don't know if the Startup Disk Creator needs
more space anyway, maybe some work-space.

I would recommend that you install from

lubuntu-14.04.2-desktop-i386.iso

and I know that you can use mkusb to make a 1 GB USB pendrive into a
Lubuntu live drive and/or install drive.

Best regards
Nio