One pendrive for all PC (Intel/AMD) computers

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 15:28:04 UTC 2015

Hi Andre,

Nice to see you here again. I notice that your tutorial thread at the
Ubuntu Forums is attracting many readers :-)

Yes I know there are advantages with ext partitions and how to tweak
them for optimal performance and lifetime on a pendrive, but I didn't
want to make the setup too complicated. You may be right, that there are
enough advantages with ext filesystems, so that I should store the
isofiles there (and have only a small fat32 partition to allow for UEFI
booting).

Anyway, pendrives are often slow, and I have found that rsync behaves
much better than zsync, when the target drive for updating is a
pendrive. I think this is true also with ext filesystems.

One big advantage is that there is no need for copying/cloning/flashing
from the internal drive to the pendrive. The slowness of the internet
connection matches quite well the slowness of a USB 2 connection, so you
don't lose much time anyway.

Fragmentation is another reason to avoid fat 32. I guess I have to watch
out for that, but as long as the iso files remain about the same size
and the file system is far from full, that should be a small problem in
this case.

I'm thinking about the casper-rw partition. Could it be used for the iso
files in a convenient way? Maybe - and it is better to have few
partitions, when the drive is small.

Best regards
Nio