Re: ubuntu-15.04 PPC issues

Peter Golis golisp at centrum.sk
Fri Jun 5 07:42:08 UTC 2015

Hello Israel,
I'm not sure which model with which hardware combination did you use, but my installation notices for 14.04 on Mac Mini and PowerBook 6,3 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBook#iBook_G4_.28.22Snow.22.29 are:

1) Boot installation CD will start with video=ofonly to disable some kernel drivers and leave GPU handling layer managed by open firmware. System startup after installation will force to load kernel radeonfb driver which is not recommended to use with combination of X driver radeon for lot of years. Installation process does not ask which driver shall be used, so manual update of yaboot configuration file is required. If that step will NOT be done, you will see only wrong collors with issues to change TTY (video card will not correctly switch and system can freeze).

2) Plug & pray detection does not correctly work on i2s bus, therefore none of my Apple PowerPC machines had detected soundcard. Loading of kernel module snd-aoa-i2sbus had fixed it on my Mac Mini and Toonie card was detected fine. On my powerbook was required to make small patch to kernel as migration from snd-powerpc to sns-aoa-* was incomplette in upstream kernel. Once I had recompiled kernel with that small patch, TAS sound card had detected fine. There was no question if I want to load that i2s module in installation process.

3) My wireless broadcom card in Powerbook had required to load firmware and switch from new broadcom driver to old broadcom driver (yes, that hardware is dozen years old, but it still have power of 30 bucks tablet. But it have bundled keyboard and WiFi with better (internal) antena. There was no suggestion by installation

All of that points are described in my email are cleanly described in PowerPC FAQ available through link on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCDownloads.

So, what is your issue and did you have followed any known workarrounds to fix that?

Regarding minimal CD, is good to know about availability of 15.04. I had try to check few weeks ago using do-release-updates, but no new release was available at that time. It was when I had the same discussion with Fritz and he had also not provided any technical details nor status from apply of workarround written in PPC FAQ. He had informed only about some issues when he had try to change something. No clean information (how to reproduce it) was provided by him.

Peter.

PS: My Mac Mini had the second HW issue with HDD this year. I think, power source cannot handle it with two USB 2.5 external discs powered from USB. But it was working fine unless I had connected energy vampires (external USB 3.0 2.5 Inch HDD) to it.

> Od: Israel <israeldahl at gmail.com>
> Komu: Peter Golis <golisp at centrum.sk>, Fritz Hudnut <este.el.paz at gmail.com>
> Dátum: 05.06.2015 01:55
> Predmet: Re: ubuntu-15.04 PPC issues
>
> CC: "lubuntu user list"
Hi Peter

 On 06/04/2015 08:14 AM, Peter Golis wrote:Hello Israel,
Could you please summarize your problems?

You had written about issue with accessing console using Ubuntu mini. Are you talking about Mac Mini, or Ubuntu Minimal installation? Did you had try to force ofonly for video card during boot process?

Ubuntu Mini on the iBook which is PPC.
 No, ofonly doesn't usually work on my model (in past experiences..), but I will try it, since I still have Debian Jessie mini installed.  Also usually I can boot to at least console even if Xorg is psychedelic... I have an xorg file I usually pop on it, though I think 14.04 had perfect video, only sound didn't work.
You had written about issue with power off when you had try to install random software. Did you had checked computer battery and power source?

It was plugged in both times, and had a full battery.
 This is not a normal issue of "I did something random and careless"
 This is a big, PPC is not given any love and has gotten worse and worse.
 In 14.04 there was a huge issue with hwdetect, forcing me to research my specific sound modules and forcing them to load.  Now, here we are a year later.  I boot, and the computer either shuts down when I install things, OR (in Debian) I cannot even access a TTY.  There is nothing.  I turn it on, and voila!  Nothing.  Or course Debian has more issues (no built-in support for airport... but fixing that is doable... just annoying), but it is not meant to be beginner distro like Ubuntu.  Which is why I normally use Ubuntu, it simply works and I do not have to spend any time tweaking system side things.  I can spend my efforts tweaking my desktop/panels/keyboard shortcuts to fit my work flow.
You had written about issue with sound. Did you had tested module loading?

That was for 14.04... I did test... I don't remember which one it was, I think it was ornico maybe tas i don't remember, but it has been about a year since I tried 14.04.  I had 12.04 mini with a WM installed until I tested Lubuntu 15.04, Ubuntu Mini 15.04, and now currently Debian Jessie mini.
This email have conversation topic "ubuntu-15.04 PPC issues", where is available Ubuntu 15.04 for PowerPC architecture?

You can download minimal images for all the supported architectures:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD#A32-bit_PowerPC_.28ppc.29.2A.2A <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD#A32-bit_PowerPC_.28ppc.29.2A.2A>

 You can also download a premade Lubuntu image for PPC, but I figure you already know this, and where it is...
Peter.
 > Od: Israel <israeldahl at gmail.com> <israeldahl at gmail.com>
 > Komu: Peter Golis <golisp at centrum.sk> <golisp at centrum.sk>, Fritz Hudnut <este.el.paz at gmail.com> <este.el.paz at gmail.com>
 > Dátum: 04.06.2015 13:51
 > Predmet: Re: ubuntu-15.04 PPC issues
 >
> CC: "lubuntu user list"
Hi Peter,
 My issue running Lubuntu (and Mini and Debian Jessie) on PPC was much larger than a sound issue.
 There is little I can do to even boot to anything coherent.  I cannot even get to a console reliably to even begin to try to modprobe, or mess with xorg, or any of those fine things that PPC often requires.  In the Ubuntu mini, I would run for a while fine, but if I tried to install something the computer would simply turn off.  It surely is possible the hardware is no longer working, but I will test out some that I know to be working (12.04 worked flawlessly), and with 14.04 I can:
 sudo modprobe snd-aoa-whateverone
 and mess with alsamixer.

 Thanks you for your input!!  I appreciate your insights and help.

 On 06/04/2015 02:00 AM, Peter Golis wrote:Hello Gentleman,
As was mentioned previousely, and as is written in PPC FAQ, better is to try load missing module.If that will not help, then there is need to try 12.04 Live with old PowerPC sound modules and check type of hardware together with /proc/cpuinfo for model type. From that type can be made patch for upstream kernel as migration from snd-powerpc to sns-aoa-* is not yet done.

Have a nice day,

On 06/03/2015 07:45 PM, Fritz Hudnut wrote:
 > Israel:
 >
 > Right now 14.04 is fine for PPC . . . there is a "Fixing sound in
 > 14.04" thread on the Apple Hardware sub-forum . . . some are "easier"
 > to do than others . . . .  I have some posts on that thread, and once
 > I got around to trying to fix it, mine was pretty easy . . . .  There
 > are instructions, perhaps on the PowerPCFAQ, as well . . . you have to
 > find out which "device ID" alsamixer is using???
 >
 > If you can't find the thread, let me know . . . "rsavage" is the
 > gentleman who posted the fixes for sound there.

 Hi Fritz!
 I haven't looked at that thread in quite a while (probably close to a
 year...), so I will revisit it, since I am sure there have been more
 suggestions and fixes.  I didn't see the alsamixer thing, so I will
 definitely have to give it another look!

 --
 Regards

-- Regards

-- Regards