Fwd: Re: Lubuntu 15.04 64 bit Problem with Desktop Shortcuts

Mon Jun 1 20:01:55 UTC 2015

On 06/01/2015 01:45 PM, Israel wrote:
> I am being asked what should open it!
This suggests that the desktop entry doesn't have the ".desktop"
extension, or is not known to be a desktop launcher for some other
reason.  Perhaps (for some reason) the desktop launcher doesn't have
Execute permission.

If you browse to the "Desktop" folder of your home directory, and
display the directory in the detailed list mode, the "Description"
column should say "desktop config" for it.

If you right-click on the entry, and choose "Properties" from the popup
menu, In the "File:" line of the general tab of the window that appears,
it should show that the file name ends with ".desktop".

Another way this can happen, is if sometime in the past, you
right-clicked on such an entry, and specified to open it with a
particular application, and to always open it with that application.

Or maybe your 15.04 installation is messed-up somehow.

I regularly use desktop launchers on Lubuntu 15.04 (as well as other
Ubuntu variants), and have not yet encountered what you are describing,
except for the case I mentioned earlier where the application it is
supposed to launch hasn't yet been installed.