can't boot from live usb lubuntu 14.04 LTS

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Wed Jan 21 18:53:16 UTC 2015

On 1/21/2015 1:25 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Den 2015-01-21 19:16, Linda skrev:
>> I am trying to boot an old HP Pavillion a1230 n with an AMD Alhlon 64
>> processor and 2 GB RAM from a live usb  with a view to intstalling
>> lubuntu on the machine
>> When I boot it hangs on the splash screen. I tried booting with quiet
>> splash removed and I have a infinite loop of the following error message
>>
>> ata1.00 status: {DRDY}
>> ata1.00 hard resetting link
>>              configured for UDMA/33
>>              Device reported invalid CHS sector 0
>>              EH complete
>>              lost interrupt
>>              exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 action 0x6 frozen
>>              failed command READ DMA
>>
>> There were a few other lines but these seems to give the gist of what is
>> going on.  Any ideas on how I can get this to work.
>>                     Thanks
>>                      Linda
>>
> Hi Linda,
>
> - Did you check with md5sum that the download was good?
>
> - Please tell us which tool you used to make the USB boot drive.
>
> - Did you try if another computer can boot from the USB boot drive?
>
> Best regards
> Nio

I'm grasping at straws a bit for the meaning of the errors, but I wonder
if the live usb is tripping over a problem with the hard drive.  I would
try temporarily disconnecting the hard drive or setting the hard drive
to None in the BIOS setup.

You could also try booting any other bootable CD that you have, just for
comparison.