Deploy customized Firefox to new users

Eric Bradshaw ericbradshaw at computers4christians.org
Fri Jan 9 12:02:02 UTC 2015

Hello, all.

In Firefox for the initial user on a system, I want to customize it
(settings, add-ons, etc) and then propagate that setup to any new users
created.

I was reading https://wiki.mozilla.org/Deployment:Deploying_Firefox, but
several of the add-ons and links of interest (e.g. firefox.dbltree.com
<http://firefox.dbltree.com> and CCK add-on
<https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/cck/>) no longer exist.

Anyone know a way?

--John

P.S. Next on my to-do list is a close look at SystemBack, which will
perhaps handle this chore, but for the moment I was looking at
application-native methods of doing such things.  For instance, for
certain purposes I can modify the files installed by
lubuntu-default-settings.  I have also had a little look at /etc/skel
and /etc/profile.d, though those two seem to have limited use in Lubuntu.

----------

John,

User addons for Firefox are (for the most part I believe) .xpi files and are stored in home/theusername/.mozilla/firefox/crazymixof#s&letters.default-stringof#s/extensions.

You propagate the settings, addons, bookmarks, etc. to newly created users by including the whole .mozilla folder in /etc/skel. Including things in skel is the default way (in any *buntu) to ensure new users have the same "settings," or "profile" as the user account the system/distro/respin is being created on.

However, Systemback automatically picks up the settings/profile of the user account used to create the backup ("Live system create" in my case) when the box to "Include user data files" is checked. As far as I can tell; everything I'd usually have to specifically include in skel is automatically carried over.

So, that means I no longer have to make sure I include the latest ".whatever" folders in skel to pass on the settings for several different applications (including Firefox) to the newly created users. I simply set up the user account - I'm using Systemback on - the way I want it to be, before I create the live system.

By the way; I set aside a separate machine (though a different user account would probably work just as well) for system creation as I'd imagine either method on a computer/account I use for myself would be too easily "contaminated" with my own stuff.

Eric

----

Thank you,
God bless you,