Loss of keyboard functionality with Google Chrome and Lubuntu 14.4.1

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Mon Jan 5 20:59:55 UTC 2015

On 1/5/2015 3:26 PM, Marc Tremblay wrote:

> Good afternoon and Happy New Year to everyone!
>
> I have ran into a strange problem in three of our computer labs that
> are using 14.4.1 LTS. When using Google Chrome, the keyboard stops
> functioning after several keystrokes. This only seems to happen while
> using Google Chrome and does not occur using Firefox or any other
> browser. We are a GAFE School board so we primarily use Google Chrome
> as our browser.
>
> Would anyone have a quick solution for this? One site suggested that I
> change the input method from IBUS to something else but I can’t seem
> to figure out where to change this setting.
>
> Thank you
>
> Marc Tremblay
>
> Educational Services Dept
>
> Lester B. Pearson School Board
>
> 1925 Brookdale
>
> Dorval, H9P 2Y7
>
> mtremblay at lbpsb.qc.ca <mailto:mtremblay at lbpsb.qc.ca>

I recently filed a bug report
https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=445768 in which the
mouse pointer stops working after a few seconds at certain web sites
(for machines with a certain Intel video chipset).

Your problem instead involves the keyboard, and you don't say that only
certain web sites trigger the problem.

Nonetheless I wonder if you may be dealing with a related phenomenon.

What video chipsets are involved?

In any case, an easy test: disable Hardware Acceleration in Chrome
Advanced Settings.  My research on the above problem showed that it can
be responsible for a number of issues.