Unwanted installations: removing more recent Lubuntu kernels.

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 12:26:44 UTC 2015

On 08/14/2015 01:29 AM, Basil Fernie wrote:
> Hi all, a little light change of topic.
>
> I have three different Lubu releases available on different partitions
> for comparison and other reasons and want to keep it that way, I just
> want to get rid of some of the kernel point releases that are
> no-longer required. They clutter up my boot menu and, no doubt, the
> hard drive. I've consulted some Lubuntu sites regarding removal and
> have a reasonable idea of the difference between apt-get remove and
> apt-get purge. I suspect that the latter is what I want. BUT I
> specifically want to get back to a version of Lubuntu using
> linux3.19.0-15-generic (which I use a lot, and booted into manually
> from the GRUB menu for the current session) and get rid of the more
> recent one using linux3.19.0-25-generic which doesn't boot to
> completion - no mouse cursor. Rather than fix it, I'll wait for 15.10.
> In the mean while I want to rely on 15.04 with minimum fuss.
>
> Should I be looking at  dpkg --force-downgrade?  If so how should I
> parametrize the command? - I don't want to lose too much...
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Basil Fernie

Hi,
Simply edit your GRUB to boot form that specific kernel.
Sure, you can:
sudo apt-get purge linux-headers-3.X.X-X linux-image-3.X.X-X
linux-image-3.X.X-X-generic
where you use the actual kernel you want to remove.
Look here:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/216398/set-older-kernel-as-default-grub-entry
Basically you are going to edit your
/etc/default/grub
And make and do something like:
|GRUB_DEFAULT="Previous Linux versions>Ubuntu, with Linux
3.19.0-15-generic"|
sudo update-grub
and reboot

--