Unwanted installations: removing more recent Lubuntu kernels.

Basil Fernie basil at pop.co.za
Fri Aug 14 06:29:04 UTC 2015

Hi all, a little light change of topic.

I have three different Lubu releases available on different partitions for
comparison and other reasons and want to keep it that way, I just want to
get rid of some of the kernel point releases that are no-longer required.
They clutter up my boot menu and, no doubt, the hard drive. I've consulted
some Lubuntu sites regarding removal and have a reasonable idea of the
difference between apt-get remove and apt-get purge. I suspect that the
latter is what I want. BUT I specifically want to get back to a version of
Lubuntu using linux3.19.0-15-generic (which I use a lot, and booted into
manually from the GRUB menu for the current session) and get rid of the
more recent one using linux3.19.0-25-generic which doesn't boot to
completion - no mouse cursor. Rather than fix it, I'll wait for 15.10. In
the mean while I want to rely on 15.04 with minimum fuss.

Should I be looking at  dpkg --force-downgrade?  If so how should I
parametrize the command? - I don't want to lose too much...

Thanks in advance,

Basil Fernie