upgrade from Lubuntu 12 LTS to Lubuntu 14 LTS on the extremely old desktop?

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 00:14:58 UTC 2015

Hi Hermino,
To be honest, compiling a kernel on 450 MHZ machine is kind of daunting
:)  I built a kernel package on an old Compaq that took over a day to
complete, that was 900MHZ with a 256MB RAM.

But building a deb for a kernel on Debian is incredibly easy, but does
require a very long compile process on an old computer.  I am not sure
if you could do it with qemu/deboostrap/et al on a faster computer... I
have had some issues doing that sort of thing before...

That said I agree fully.  Compiling is generally extremely easy...
unless you have to hunt for the depends, which is fairly simple if you
know what you are doing.

sudo apt-get install build-essential
make
sudo make install

creating a debian package is a bit more intensive... though in recent
versions there is that handy meta-package for it
ubuntu-dev-tools (IIRC)
Ubuntu is a super easy platform for development, though.  So nice to
sudo apt-get install lib/whatever/-dev

You never know Fritz you might find that you like hacking your own
computer a whole lot :)

--
Regards