upgrade from Lubuntu 12 LTS to Lubuntu 14 LTS on old desktop?

Sun Aug 9 19:20:26 UTC 2015

On 08/09/2015 12:25 PM, Richard H. McCullough wrote:
> caveats:
> 1) I didn't know that lower right icon was for Wireless.
> 2) No list of available WiFi connections.
> 3) Serious name problem with AT&T U-verse SSID, key, password.
> The right data was in the wrong slot.
>
> Does the same solution work for Belkin N300 wireless adapter?
> If so, how do I find & install the driver?
Richard:

Sorry about the lack of precision.  I send these e-mails from a machine
that is connected via Ethernet cable to my wireless router, so it
doesn't have the wireless icon.  Also, the wireless icon looks different
depending on which icon theme you use.  Also, my memory is clouded from
doing the same thing with many different 'flavors' of Ubuntu, as well as
a few other Linux distributions.

Despite all the pitfalls laying wait to snare you, I'm glad you
succeeded with getting it working!

The "firmware-b43-installer" package is for a number of different
Broadcom chip-sets.

In Synaptic Package Manager, if you select the firmware-b43-installer
package, and click the "Properties" toolbar button, the description will
list a number of chip-sets (quoted below):

    This package downloads and installs the firmware needed by the b43
    kernel driver for some Broadcom 43xx wireless network cards.

    Supported chipsets:
      * BCM4306/3;
      * BCM4311;
      * BCM4318;
      * BCM4321;
      * BCM4322 (only 14e4:432b);
      * BCM4312 (with Low-Power a.k.a. LP-PHY).

On one of my machines, I had to use the "firmware-b43legacy-installer"
package instead.

But again, the description says "Broadcom" - not "Belkin", yet it seems
I confused the two before, and it worked for a "Belkin" wireless, though
that memory comes from years ago, and I'm not sure of it.

So I don't know if this approach will be any good with the Belkin N300.

Another thing you can try, is to select from Menu ...  Preferences ...
Additional Drivers

Sometimes, it will recognize hardware connected to your machine that is
available from the repository, and install and activate it (with your
permission).

--
Sincerely,
Aere