upgrade from Lubuntu 12 LTS to Lubuntu 14 LTS on old desktop?

Sun Aug 9 17:03:40 UTC 2015

Richard:

The fact that it notifies you that wireless networks are available
indicates the hardware is now working.

I have never used any automated configuration, or the button on the
wireless dongle to configure.  I don't know how to make it work that way.

But I have always (once it gets to where it says wireless networks are
available), been able to manually configure the wireless.

to do that, you first click on the wireless icon at the right of the
task-bar (it's a left-click).

It then shows you a bunch of wireless routers within range of the
receiver it has detected.  The wireless router you use (its SSID name,
which you can get if you look at the configuration you set up for your
wireless router).  Click (left) on that one.

If it is already configured, it will just connect to it.  But where it
is not yet configured, a window appears, where you enter your wireless
(WPA/WPA2) pass-phrase for connecting to the network.  If your wireless
network uses WEP, that's where you enter your WEP code as well.  By the
length and content of the pass-phrase, it can distinguish between
WPA/WPA2 and WEP.

If nobody is looking over your shoulder to discover the pass-phrase,
click the check-box for it to show you what you're typing, so you get it
right (you then have to click on the text-box where you type the
pass-phrase).

Type in your pass-phrase, and click the button to process the data and
connect (I forgot what it's called - possibly "Connect").  You might be
able to just press the enter-key to do the same thing.

It will 'churn' for awhile, and it should then connect, assuming you
typed the pass-phrase correctly.  It should thereafter connect
automatically when you reboot, and are within range of that wireless
router.

You can edit existing wireless network configurations using
Menu...Preferences...Network Connections, if necessary.  I had to do
that when I changed long ago from WEP to WPA.

I have a number of machines where I have to install b43-fwcutter and
firmware-b43-installer, and once I reboot after having done so, It works
fine for me.

The way I get around the problem of needing to install the two packages
without Internet access, is I plug-in a wireless dongle not needing
those packages, and use that for Internet access installing the
packages.  But you could always move the machine to within-reach of an
Ethernet cable from the wireless router.

I hope that helps.

- Aere

--
Sincerely,