upgrade from Lubuntu 12 LTS to Lubuntu 14 LTS on old desktop?

Richard H. McCullough rhm at pioneerca.com
Sun Aug 9 15:20:20 UTC 2015

I installed b43-fwcutter yesterday.
I installed firmware-b43-installer just now.

Output of lsusb is attached.
Output of usb-devices is attached.

When I uplug Ethernet cable, I get internet disconnected message.
When I look at Interfaces, I see
      Bytes Received        0
      Bytes Sent                0
      Network Name (SSID)      blank -- should be 2WIRE155
      Bit Rate                     0 Mb/s
      Transmission Power    Unknown
      Mode                        Managed
      Status                        0
      Link Quality              0
      Signal / Noise           0/46166446

When I reboot
1) I get upper right corner message saying
    WiFi networks available, use network menu
2) I push autoconnect button on Netgear WNA3100M
3) I have my Lenovo laptop logged on 192.168.1.254
    Netgear WNA3100M shows as device e4:f4:c6:4c:5e:ce, IP 192.168.1.68, status OFF
    I enable WiFI Protected Setup, then Push WPS Button Remotely, and get
       "Errors" or "Successful Configuration"
       but in either case Netgear WNA3100M is not connected
4) back on my Dell desktop
    Network Settings show no DNS Servers and no Search Domains
    because of weird display problem with Ubuntu 14.04, I not sure
    if settings are really blank, or if my settings of
           DNS      192.168.1.254
           search  attlocal.net
    are still there
    Maybe manual setup would work (it did on Windows 8.1)
    but I don't know how to do manual setup on Ubuntu 14.04

Dick McCullough