upgrade from Lubuntu 12 LTS to Lubuntu 14 LTS on old desktop?

Richard H. McCullough rhm at pioneerca.com
Sun Aug 9 12:43:41 UTC 2015

I did update my Dell 8200 to Ubuntu 14.04 with no problems at all.Update retained my LXDE.

What is the b43 issue?
Is it related to USB wireless adapter problem?  I just bought Netgear WNA3100M
and have not been able to get it to work. After googling I had several conflicting
stories about how to fix it.
(I have also been wondering if my Belkin N300 could ever work.)

1) First I tried the ndiswrapper approach. I installed ndiswrapper programs and
bcmwl-kernel-source and b43-fwcutter. Not too sure what part of broadcom-sta-source is installed.
Had weird problem with Synaptic Package Manager -- every time my mouse passed
over a display window, all the info disappeared!!! Sometimes if I played with the
scroll bar, the info would reappear.
WNA3100M never connected. It's possible I may also have Network settings wrong
since I never tried to use wireless adapter before. I had same disappearing info. problem.
Ubuntu seemed to override some of my settings. DNS was usually set to 127.0.1.1
overriding my DNS setting of 192.168.1.254 for AT&T U-verse router.

2) Then I went to Ask Ubuntu and found the rtl8192cu driver approach.
Without uninstalling the stuff from step (1) above, I installed the driver using    git clone https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8192cu.git
    cd rtl8192cu
    make
    sudo make installBut the WNA3100M never worked. It sort of looked like it connected,but there was never any data transferred, and it sort of looked likeI was still on Ethernet (looking at Interfaces with System Profiler and Benchmarkand using lsusb and usb-devices) even though I unplugged the Ethernet cable. 3) FYII was able to use Netgear WNA3100M on Windows 8.1 Pro,but finding device (& rest of installation) failed on Windows 10 Pro.  Can you explain what's happening & how to fix it?

Dick McCullough