upgrade from Lubuntu 12 LTS to Lubuntu 14 LTS on old desktop?

Fri Aug 7 05:28:33 UTC 2015

On 08/06/2015 09:58 PM, Richard H. McCullough wrote:
> Adding more RAM is not attractive -- this computer has older RAM which
> is much more expensive than today's RAM. It would be more cost effective
> to buy a new computer.
512 megabytes RAM should be enough for it.

When I asked a computer store about upgrading my Dell 8200 machine (that
had only 256 megabytes), I was told what you said above.

But when I did a google search for:

dell 8200 memory upgrade

I see from the search results, rambus memory for upgrading it in the $41
to $60 range.

That was true years ago, when I upgraded my machine to 1GB RAM - it
wasn't as expensive as I had been led to believe, and that machine is
now (with the memory upgrade) the primary machine of my daughter's
family, which they have used for years, as of now.

But then again, 512 megabytes of RAM will work (for 32-bit
architecture).  256 megabytes (which was all my machine had), was not
enough memory for general usage, and I had to upgrade it. Fortunately,
it was not overly expensive to upgrade it.

--
Sincerely,
Aere