the current version of Lubuntu trusty-desktop-i386.iso

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 17:15:45 UTC 2015

On 08/05/2015 04:01 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Den 2015-08-05 12:46, Nio Wiklund skrev:
>>
> Dear Lubuntu testers and users,
>
> Added information about Lubuntu 14.04.3 LTS: The alternate installer
> does not work and will not be supplied for this point version. The
> desktop installer is oversized for CD. There may or may not be time to
> get it within CD size, but we are close to the deadline, I looked into
> an alternative for really old computers, that boot from CD disks (but
> not from DVD disks or USB drives).
>
> I could install Lubuntu within CD size using the current mini.iso file
>
> 1. This general link seems to work now in order to find and download the
> Ubuntu mini.iso files
>
> http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/netboot/
>
> Select an architecture to install 14.04 with vivid's 3.19 HWE kernel
> (supported until August 2016), Index of
>
> /ubuntu/dists/trusty-updates/main/installer-i386/current/images/vivid-netboot
>
> with this md5sum
>
> a5156887b51e5e523a099bc255274c85  ./vivid-netboot/mini.iso
>
> 2. Install a very basic system (no packages selected within the
> mini.iso's installer.
>
> 3. Reboot into text mode and install Lubuntu
>
> sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop
>
> 4. Reboot and you have Lubuntu.
>
> I found one hickup: The nm-applet (network manager's indicator on the
> panel) has no icon, but if you click on the 'empty' space between the
> keyboard symbol and the clock, you get the relevant menus. And the
> network works (no pun intended) :-)
>
> This is not as easy as the alternate installer, but it is not too difficult.
>
> *. On the other hand, it might be better to start from the alternate
> installer of Lubuntu 14.04.1 LTS and update/dist-upgrade to get up to
> date program packages including security patches. This will not get the
> vivid kernel, but the stay with the trusty kernel. The trusty kernel is
> probably at least as good as the vivid one for such old hardware, so I
> would recommend starting from Lubuntu 14.04.1 LTS and staying with the
> trusty kernel 3.13.
>

> Best regards
> Nio

Hi Nio,
isn't there a tasksel option for Lubuntu?

Another option would be to preseed the mini with a url.  I did this some
time ago with debian and mate on PPC.  It worked well and was fairly
painless... though Debian is a bit more complicated than Ubuntu for new
non-technical users to use from the mini install.

That seems like the 'best' way to make it easy for users.