the current version of Lubuntu trusty-desktop-i386.iso

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 21:01:18 UTC 2015

Den 2015-08-05 12:46, Nio Wiklund skrev:
> I made a quick test of the current version of Lubuntu
> trusty-desktop-i386.iso
>
> A. Except for the oversize this version works. Please try to make a CD
> size iso file!
>
> -o-
>
> B. I tried also 'Encrypted disk with LVM'. It worked, but with a couple
> of hickups.
>
> 1. You must turn off the zram swap
>
> sudo swapoff -a
>
> 2. There was a partman error. I think it caused the progress indicator
> to fail, but it was possible to continue and get a working system with
> 'Encrypted disk with LVM'.
>
> Best regards
> Nio

Dear Lubuntu testers and users,

Added information about Lubuntu 14.04.3 LTS: The alternate installer
does not work and will not be supplied for this point version. The
desktop installer is oversized for CD. There may or may not be time to
get it within CD size, but we are close to the deadline, I looked into
an alternative for really old computers, that boot from CD disks (but
not from DVD disks or USB drives).

I could install Lubuntu within CD size using the current mini.iso file

1. This general link seems to work now in order to find and download the
Ubuntu mini.iso files

http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/netboot/

Select an architecture to install 14.04 with vivid's 3.19 HWE kernel
(supported until August 2016), Index of

/ubuntu/dists/trusty-updates/main/installer-i386/current/images/vivid-netboot

with this md5sum

a5156887b51e5e523a099bc255274c85  ./vivid-netboot/mini.iso

2. Install a very basic system (no packages selected within the
mini.iso's installer.

3. Reboot into text mode and install Lubuntu

sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop

4. Reboot and you have Lubuntu.

I found one hickup: The nm-applet (network manager's indicator on the
panel) has no icon, but if you click on the 'empty' space between the
keyboard symbol and the clock, you get the relevant menus. And the
network works (no pun intended) :-)

This is not as easy as the alternate installer, but it is not too difficult.

*. On the other hand, it might be better to start from the alternate
installer of Lubuntu 14.04.1 LTS and update/dist-upgrade to get up to
date program packages including security patches. This will not get the
vivid kernel, but the stay with the trusty kernel. The trusty kernel is
probably at least as good as the vivid one for such old hardware, so I
would recommend starting from Lubuntu 14.04.1 LTS and staying with the
trusty kernel 3.13.

Best regards
Nio