Fwd: [Lubuntu-admins] 15.04 - Installation Experience

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 06:43:04 UTC 2015

Den 2015-04-29 13:30, Nio Wiklund skrev:
> Den 2015-04-29 10:54, Nio Wiklund skrev:

>>> The second attempt failed:
>>>
>>> I tried again with Unetbootin and a smaller file for persistence, 512
>>> MB. But it does not work. The USB install drive does not work, neither
>>> with nor without persistence activated.
>>>
>>> The third attempt failed:
>>>
>>> Still trying from a live Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS system.
>>>
>>> Used the Startup Disk Creator (with a clean FAT32 partition, automounted
>>> after unplugging and replugging the USB pendrive).
>>>
>>> 1 GB file size for persistence.
>>>
>>> The installation proceeded without hiccups (it was slow to create the
>>> persistence file). But the installed system does not work because of the
>>> 'gfxboot.c32: not a COM32R image' bug. Sigh :-(
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> Nio
>>>

>> The fourth attempt failed:
>>
>> I tried with Unetbootin from my production system (Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS),
>> but it failed with the same symptom.
>>
>> -o-
>>
>> The fifth attempt succeeded:
>>
>> First I cleaned to pendrive to decrease the risk of 'gridlock'.
>> -----
>> sudo mkusb-nox wipe-whole-device
>> I started to think that my iso file is bad,
>>
>> b66f9a0a87289be57cb3eb84f153c01d  vivid-desktop-i386.iso
>>
>> But it is good and I used mkusb-nox to flash it into the pendrive:
>>
>> sudo mkusb-nox /media/multimed-2/test/lubuntu/vivid-desktop-i386.iso
>> And the pendrive works as it should :-)
>>
>> (Some of you might prefer the GUI of mkusb to the command line interface
>> of mkusb-nox. But the programs do the same things behind the curtain.)
>>
>> -o-
>>
>> I'll try again later to make a working pendrive with Lubuntu 15.04 using
>> Unetbootin and the Ubuntu Startup Disk Creator ...
>>
>> Best regards
>> Nio
>>

> The sixth attempt succeeded:
>
> I installed Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS, made it up to date, and into that system
> I installed Unetbootin via the developer's ppa instead of from the
> Ubuntu repository.
>
> https://launchpad.net/~gezakovacs/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gezakovacs/ppa
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install unetbootin
>
> and Unetbootin could make a good installer pendrive with
>
> vivid-desktop-i386.iso
>
> Persistence file size 512 MB (I did not want to wait while a huge file
> was created). Persistence works. I installed Lubuntu twice into an SSD
> with the option 'Something else'. The installer system in the USB
> pendrive was not damaged after the installation.
>
> -o-

> 1. mkusb just works, because it is independent of changes between
> versions of the Ubuntu flavours.
>
> 2. Unetbootin works, when installed via the developer's ppa. It will
> bring the version 603-1~trusty1 now. (The version in Ubuntu repositories
> is not up to date.)
>
> Best regards
> Nio

The seventh attempt failed:

I tried again with usb-creator-gtk, the version in the 'proposed'
repository. See also comments #117-118 of the bug report

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/usb-creator/+bug/1325801

The version of usb-creator-gtk from 'proposed' fails to install the
bootloader. The version that comes with 14.04.2 LTS could install the
bootloader but is affected by bug #1325801.

Best regards
Nio